This Bacon and Egg Pie recipe was just another variation on a similar breakfast type casserole I featured in my 3 Day Summer Diet RESTART book.
Every time I make one, it seems to be slightly different. However, this Bacon and Egg Pie is super yum, so it’s worth a recipe post of its own.
Egg and Bacon Pie
- 1 square baking dish
- 1 non stick baking paper
- 1 bowl
- 1 fork
- 1 sharp knife
- 1 chopping board
- 10 large eggs
- 5 rashers short cut bacon (no fat)
- 1/2 red capsicum
- 5 medium mushrooms
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 2 TBS potato starch
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry optional
- Peel & finely slice mushrooms.
- Wash capsicum & dice into small cubes
- Dice bacon into fine cubes
- Slice up cheese into smaller pieces.
- Crack 3 of the eggs into a bowl & whisk with a fork
- Sprinkle the potato starch over these eggs & whisk with a fork to blend & remove lumps.
- Add the rest of the eggs & whisk with a fork to combine.
- Lay the non-stick paper over the square baking dish
- If using puff pastry, pull it out of the freezer & lay on top of the non-stick paper
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (360F)
- As the puff pastry defrosts, slowly push it into the baking tray, so that it is even on all sides. Slice off any edges that are sticking up as these will just burn in cooking. I usually just put these on top of the dish & it bakes nicely.
- Put the puff pastry in the oven for 10 minutes to cook by itself. It puffs up a bit, but will be held down by the ingredients eventually.
- After 10 minutes, pull it out of the oven, pour the egg mixture inside the puff base, then add the mushrooms, capsicum and cheese. Just push these down into the egg mixture with a fork and distribute evenly.
- Last of all, sprinkle the bacon over the top & do not push these into the egg mixture. This ensures the bacon cooks and gets a little crispy. Add the little cut triangles of puff pastry on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Once done, it should be slightly risen and browned on top. Allow about 10 minutes to cool a little before slicing.
- I store in a large glass airtight container in the fridge & eat it for the week as my work lunch, heating it up in the microwave.
Egg and Bacon Pie Notes…
I can already hear people shouting – “but puff pastry isn’t Peaty or pro metabolic!”
All true due to the wheat flour content, so leave it out. The recipe is still super yum without it. It just becomes a crustless slice.
I choose to eat it occasionally as I have been on this pro metabolic journey for over 5 years now, I’m at my desired weight, my Lemon Coffee protocol has improved my digestion, so I can now eat a few things I wouldn’t have in the past and still feel great.
This is an important concept to understand about different types of food. There are certain things we should be eating more often to ensure our body gets the nutrients and fuel it needs, to operate at optimal levels for great health and thyroid function. However, it’s important to know the upside and downside of all food, so you can make informed decisions about what and how much of it, you are choosing.
So, choose wisely to suit your body and enjoy your food. Stressing over anything, especially food is not the lifestyle for optimal health.