Healthy Nutella Part 1…

healthy nutella, nutella, chocolate

Did you know there is a worldwide hazelnut shortage?

Apparently so.

In September last year there were extreme weather conditions in Turkey where most of the world’s hazelnuts are grown and prices have gone through the roof.

Another interesting fact is that Ferrero, makers of Nutella utilise 25% of the world’s hazelnuts. Boy! Whoever stumbled on that recipe must super rich – well his family anyway, as I understand he is no longer with us.

What actually is in Nutella?

On the jar it says this:-

Sugar, Vegetable Oil, Hazelnuts (13%), Skim Milk Powder (8.7%), Fat-Reduced Cocoa Powder (7.4%), Emulsifier (Lecithins) (Soy), Flavouring (Vanillin).

So approximately 30% of it may be ok and the other 70% is sugar and oil of dubious origin. So for health, weight loss and potential addictions, most of us should give this stuff a wide birth.

“But it tastes so good”, I hear you wail.

True enough and we don’t need to miss out altogether, just tweak it a bit to make it tick all the boxes.

So I went in search of a recipe on the net and there are a few different healthy versions of it which is great for people everywhere who still want the oh yum! factor in their diet and stay on track.

So the basics are roasted hazelnuts, raw cacao and some kind of sweetener and all the rest are optional and interchangeable depending on whether you want to keep it out of the fridge or in the fridge, have it last for a week or a month. Totally up to you.

My version is a ‘keep it in the fridge’ version due to the coconut cream I put in instead of any milk or milk powder. By all means leave this out and add more oil if you would prefer to keep it in the pantry. (If you need to keep it at all and it lasts that long!!!)

The one thing I found though with the ‘keep it in the fridge’ version is that it solidifies due to the coconut oil and because I don’t eat bread, I didn’t really have anything to put it on, so I turned it into Healthy Nutella Balls and Healthy Nutella Slice that I could just grab and eat and it tasted totally like a Ferrero Rocher! Bellisimo!

So without further ado, here’s the recipe…

Healthy Nutella

1 cup raw hazelnuts
3 TBS rice malt syrup
2 TBS coconut oil
1 TBS raw cacao powder
¼ cup coconut cream
pinch salt

Roast hazelnuts in the oven on about 200°C – the time it takes is about 15 mins but I recommend checking it often. You know what nuts are like – not ready yet, not ready yet, not ready yet, oh damn burnt! Happens to me every time.

You will smell this amazing roasted hazelnut aroma when they are ready. It is true bliss.

When they have cooled a little, take small handfuls and rub them between your hands to remove the dark skins. Remove as much as you can. There will be stubborn bits but don’t worry about those.

Then toss them all in a food processor and whiz until they are all stuck together like a paste. Then add the other ingredients and whiz until smooth.

So this is the Nutella part and you can stop right here if you and your family are going to eat it like this. (It will last about a week in the fridge.)

Otherwise continue on…

nutella, cacao, healthy, snacks, hazelnuts

Nutella Balls

2 TBS healthy nutella (from recipe above)
2 TBS vanilla protein powder

Mix together in a bowl until it forms a big blob.

Take teaspoons full and roll it into balls

Chop any nuts you have in the house finely, and roll the balls in it. (I used macadamia nuts as they are my favourite.)

Then chill in the fridge.

A delish grab snack with your cup of tea.

nutella, healthy, cacao, chocolate, hazelnut, diet, lchf

Nutella Slice

4 TBS healthy nutella (from recipe above)
4 TBS vanilla protein powder

Mix together in a bowl until it forms a big blob.

Press into a paper lined small tray.

Make Chocolate Tweet chocolate as below and pour over the top.

Chill and cut into squares when firm.

Basic chocolate tweet recipe

¼ cup coconut oil
1 inch x 1 inch square of cacao butter
1 TBS raw cacao powder
2 TBS rice malt syrup
1 TBS tahini
1 TBS Peanut Butter
pinch of Himalayan rock salt

Melt cacao butter and coconut oil on very low heat or in a double boiler if you have a gas stove. Take off heat and mix in the rest of the ingredients.

So decadent, so yum and super healthy. Now this is really enjoying your food!

Now I know this ‘from scratch’ version is quite labour intensive and you know me, I love a good shortcut if I can find it. So in a future post, I will give you the heads up on a few products that will make your life easier.

In the meantime, enjoy!

Kristy xxx

*Join us! One email only every fortnight with healthy recipes, what I’m trying out that week, thoughts, weight loss tips, insights & fun. If it doesn’t feel right after a while then unsubscribe at any time. But for now we’d love you to join us for free – click here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *